- 13 May 22: The County Council have made an order, following our application in 2003, to record Wash Lane, South Mimms as a byway. This route forms part of the H251 North London Bridleroute and the planned South Mimms Community Circuit, so we are pleased to see this happen.
- 14 Mar 22 The statements of case for the Shenley 39 and Ridge 39 diversion order were received today from the Planning Inspectorate. We were pleased to see that all the parties are in agreement on the small changes proposed to the order, and we hope the Inspector will confirm it as amended accordingly.
- 24 Feb 22 The county council is investigating our application to record Laurel Lodge Lane (from Wash Lane to St Albans Road (A1086)) in South Mimms. We applied for the width to be added to the recorded footpath to prompt a discussion with the adjoining landowner about an upgrade, but it seems that people used to ride this path. If you did, please fill in an evidence form and return it as soon as possible (and definitely by 17 March). We will collate and forward to the county council.
- 26 Jan 22 In a surprise move, at a full council meeting of Hertsmere Borough Council, Leader Cllr Morris Bright MBE, announced that the authority's draft local plan is to be shelved. This is following 20,000 objections. The Council is expected to move quickly to develop a new proposed plan for consulation. We will be watching!
- 20 Dec 21: The Wall Hall Management Company have applied for permission to have a barrier on the road into Wall Hall. Their planning application shows a horse bypassing the barrier, which we think is a step towards the removal their objection to recording the bridleway through the Wall Hall estate.
- 6 Dec 21 is the deadline for commenting on the draft Hertsmere Local Plan. Don't be late - this is the chance for everyone who lives, works or rides in the Borough to influence future development.
- 29 Nov 21: The public inquiry scheduled for 30 Nov 21 into the proposed deregistration of the Woodcock Hill village green has been delayed to 2022. Read more.
- 29 Nov 21: Planning: Burston Nurseries: A new bridleway joining How Wood (St Stephen 3 BW) to Lye Lane had been proposed as part of the Burston Nurseries site development. Planning permission was refused, and an appeal is in progress. Read more.
- Thirtieth Anniversary Path Checking: In 1991, the British Horse Society held the Year of the ARROW (Access and Riding Rights of Way). Riders across the country checked paths. In our core area, the Patchetts Green Riding Club surveyed the paths, noting what they were like and a report was compiled whiched help the council prioritise work for the next five to ten years. Now, thirty years later, we're repeating the activity. Please report on paths you use! This time, it is all about photographs instead of forms, so it is really easy to take part. Read more...
- Nov 21: Planning: Solar Farm at Hilfield and North of Butterfly Lane: The plans for a solar farm at Hilfield Farm and Slades Farm sites had included an access road to the north of the airfield that would have made a good bridleway (although wasn't shown as such). The planning application was turned down by the council. We hope that the developers note the reasons for objection should they try again. Read more.
- 28 Dec 20: We have enrolled with Amazon Smile. When supporters buy anything from Amazon, and have marked us down as the charity of choice, Amazon will give the Trust 0.5% of qualifying purchases without costing anything extra or losing discounts or losing commission for others. Tell Amazon we are your chosen charity here: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ch/1109497-0
- 5 Dec 20: New signage at Wall Hall, Aldenham, informs cyclists that they should not be using the route that the county council are in the process of recording as a bridleway. This route was identified in the British Horse Society's Year of Access and Riding Rights of Way, 1991, as a route that was ridden without force, permission or secrecy but was not on the definitive map. An application was made to record the route in 2012, and the county council made an order to record the route in 2018.
- 6 Oct 20: The county council have closed the bridge carrying St Stephen 5 BW over the railway until repairs are conducted. This may take until April 2021.
- 5 Aug 20: The old slip road from Shenley Lane to the North Orbital Road (A414) has now been recorded as St Albans City 104. It is recorded as a byway open to all traffic and remains subject to a prohibition of driving order. The turfed-over old slip road provides a convenient link from London Colney to the St Stephen 85 bridleway which otherwise was difficult to get to by horse. We thank the County Council for investigating this application, which had been made in 1998.
- 15 Jun 20: The Well End Diversion Order receved some objections from people who hadn't objected at the time of the public consultation. We will now seek to resolve these so that the order can be confirmed.
- 4 Jun 20: The Well End Bridleway moved a step closer to fruition today with the publication by Hertsmere Borough Council of their order diverting Footpath 3 to a new alignment. When the order is confirmed, there will be a simultaneous upgrade to bridleway. This will join the other routes we helped put in so that there is an off road route all the way from Well End to Shenley village.
- 29 May 20: Wall Hall bridleway. We are getting our evidence together for the forthcoming public inquiry into the Wall Hall bridleway. Supporters who have filled in user evidence forms will be contacted to create a witness statement, and anyone who hadn't filled in a form is asked to download and fill one in and return it. If you get stuck, please get in touch.
- 13 Feb 19: Wall Hall bridleway. We were pleased to see the order to record a bridleway along the roadway at Wall Hall, Aldenham, was published by the County Council. In about six weeks time the Council will see if it can confirm the order itself, or whether it must be sent to the Secretary of State for an Inspector to determine.
- 20 Oct 18: Aldenham 83 RB/BOAT. The result is in: the remaining part of Oakridge Lane has been added to the definitive map, making sure it is available for riders in the future. There will be a full report in the Annual Report for registered supporters.
- 7 Feb 18: St Stephen 96. The Hertfordshire County Council has confirmed its order adding Featherbed Lane, East of the M1, to the definitive map. recording this bridleway. We applied for it in 1997, and 21 years later it is safeguarded! Read a copy of the confirmed order.
- 31 Mar 17: Shenley 36. Landowner advises that the waymark arrows have been changed to 'public bridleway' ones.
- 24 Mar 17: Shenley 36. We were delighted to hear today that all those needing to consent to the upgrade of footpath Shenley 36 north of Cow Banks Wood to bridleway have now consented. The waymarks will be changed to bridleway ones shortly, and we aim to hold an official 'opening' towards the end of May.
- 6 Dec 16: Aldenham 83 RB/BOAT. The Oakridge Lane order has been confirmed at long last. The route is now safeguarded for equestrians. We applied for this path to be recorded on 20 Dec 06, so it's nearly ten years to the day to finish the process. We hope that there are no High Court challenges this time round! (There were - part of the order was quashed.)
- 29 Mar 16: Well End BW BHS HQ will contribute 330 to our appeal fund to create bridleway in Well End. #wellendbridleway We need to raise the cost of fencing and clearance.
- 10 Sep 15: Aldenham Major Project Legal work completes for the dedicated paths. Just the Wall Hall Main Drive to go now!
- 1 Sep 15: Well End BW Appeal launched to raise funds to create bridleway in Well End. #wellendbridleway We need to raise the cost of fencing and clearance.
- 8 Aug 15: Northaw 17 BW Official opening by the Deputy Mayor of Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council. #northawbridleway Thank you to everyone who donated towards the costs.
- 6 Jun 15: The Pathway, Radlett Do you ride this suburban alleyway in Radlett (Aldenham Avenue to Loom Lane)? If so we'd like an evidence form from you please!